Tuesday, April 1, 2014

adding edges

I've had this shader in my head for either days or weeks, depending on how you count. Last month when I was showing the prototype to my friends, Seth asked if I could add thickness to the figures. I said "maybe." Just recently Annie put up a comp that showed walls and set pieces with thickness, giving them a kind of cardboard feel that really sold their physicality.

So here's the card shader I made today:



I think it actually works pretty well. You can tweak the edge thickness and color per item.

It does funny thing if you go all the way edge-on, but I think we can smooth that out. Also need to see how it looks when lit. I probably don't have a good way to calculate the normal, for example. Though I suppose I could pre-process the images or some nonsense... :-s

I'm actually supposed to be working on Actions, so I'll leave this here for now. But when I get back to environments, I want to try to make the interior dungeon scenes work with the walls and underwalls. :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment